Are you looking for engaging fall or Halloween math activities for young children? Then, you’ll find candy corn is a perfect seasonal fit.
Do you have kindergarten students who would benefit from more opportunities to develop an understanding of the concepts of one less and one more than a given quantity? Here’s a flexible one less and one more candy corn themed freebie to engage your students while fostering this concept.
Candy Corn Jars One Less One More
I created two sets of nine candy corn jar number cards, 1 to 9 and 11 to 19, along with a candy corn jar mat, in color and black/ white. I also included a recording sheet.
Choose the appropriate set of number cards and color or black/ white. Print, on card stock for durability, laminate, and cut. Choose, print, and laminate the mat, if using. Provide one copy of the optional recording sheet for each student.
Facilitating An Understanding of One Less and One More
Use the mat with counters for teaching the concepts of one less and one more or for providing support. Delight your students! Provide actual candy corn. Or avoid the crazy sugar high with candy corn erasers or yellow, orange and white buttons (1/2 to 5/8″). Or simply use any small counter you have on hand.
- Pick a number card.
- Use counters to show the quantity in the My Number column on the mat.
- Show one less and one more than the given quantity in the appropriate columns with additional counters.
- Alternately, slide the counters from the middle column to the One Less column. Remove one counter to show one less.
- Then, slide the counters back to the My Number column. Show the correct quantity. Slide to the One More column and add one counter to show one more.
- Write the corresponding numbers in the space at the top of each column.
Practicing or Reviewing One Less and One More
Use this same activity without the concrete counters and mat with your students who already understand the concept but would benefit from further practice.
- Pick a number card.
- Match the letter on the card to the letter on the recording sheet.
- Write the number picked in the My Number Column.
- Then, write the numbers that are one less and one more than the given number in the appropriate columns.
Go ahead, add a little excitement! Place the candy corn jar number cards in a decorative container.
More Candy Corn Craze
Looking for more candy corn themed math activities? I have several available in my TpT store.
Recently, I revised two of my candy corn themed roam the room number sense activities. One features the numbers 1 to 10, while the other covers the numbers 10 to 19. Both resources include two sets of task cards accompanied by a variety of recording sheets to choose from.
Discover Give and Take Make Ten, Fall Themes! This is a small group math game for learning, practicing, and reviewing the Make 10 addition facts in kindergarten, first, and second grades. It is a hands-on game using counters and ten frames to provide concrete and visual support. The fall themes set includes one for candy corn. Read about this activity in my post, A Fun and Easy Way to Remember the Make Ten Facts. Find a free St. Patrick’s Day sample of Give and Take Make Ten.
Click on the highlighted words to download your freebie from my Teachers Pay Teachers store, Candy Corn Jars One Less and One More.
Read this post, How to Celebrate National Candy Corn Day with Math, with more resources including another freebie for preschool and kindergarten.
Do you have a favorite candy corn themed activity? Leave a comment to share!
Title image photo by kissandmockup.