Who doesn’t love a mouthwatering slice of cheesy pizza? Here’s a free pizza-themed activity that will tantalize your kindergarteners and first-graders while they practice reading CVC words! It’s the perfect choice for National Pizza Day (February 9th), Valentine’s Day, or any day, for that matter.
Use this easy to prepare resource with small groups of 2 to 4 students. (Adapt it for a single student or a large group.) Try it for morning work, in a literacy center, or with your small instructional groups.
Give your students the opportunity to decode CVC words with the -at, -ip, and -ug spelling patterns and have a bit of fun at the same time.
Get “A Pizza My Heart” Prepared
There are 4 different activity mats. Each mat has a heart pizza with 10 slices of pepperoni. Each slice of pepperoni has a picture representing a CVC word on it. There are 15 cards with CVC words, 5 for each of the spelling patterns; -at, -ip, and -ug.
You will need:
- One copy of the activity mat for each participating student
- Copies of the word cards (2 pages)
- Crayons or counters
Choose color or black/ white. Print the black/ white mats on paper to use with crayons. The color or black/ white mats can be printed on card stock and laminated for reuse. Use with counters. Try erasers, buttons, gems, felt hearts, candy hearts, or any one-inch or smaller counters you have on hand.
Print the word cards on card stock and laminate for durability. Prepare one set for 2 students and 2 sets for 3 to 4 students. Cut out the cards.
Get ‘Em Engaged With “A Pizza My Heart”
Shuffle the word cards. Place them in a stack, a messy pile, or a decorative container.
- Draw a card.
- Read the word.
- Look for the corresponding picture on their mat.
- If the picture is on the mat, color or put a counter on that pepperoni slice.
- Discard your word card.
- Take turns.
- Reshuffle the discarded word cards, as needed.
Who can be the first one to color or cover all your pepperoni slices?
Click on the highlighted words to download your free copy of A Pizza My Heart.
Looking For More Resources…
Here are a few links to recipes and crafts!
- Heart-Shaped Pizza Tutorial (Lil’ Luna)
- Valentine Vegetable Pizza (This Ole Mom)
- Mini Heart Shape Pizza (Growing Up Gabel)
- Sponge Painted Pizza Cards- You Have a Pizza My Heart (Glued to My Crafts)
- Valentine’s Day Pizza Paper Plate Craft (Surviving a Teacher’s Salary)
Check out some of my other phonics and Valentine’s Day blog posts.
Find a few related freebies from other stores on Teachers Pay Teachers.
Finally, don’t forget to peruse some of my resources on TpT.
Photo in title image by DalaiFood.
Leave a Reply